Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links
“Jewelry making is so oversaturated – there is so much competition.”
This is what I heard from so many people when I stated that I was going to make + sell jewelry. Everybody and their mother, plus her BFF, plus her sister and her sisters cousin makes jewelry. I even said this in my introduction at Arbonne events. And well, to be totally honest – cuz that’s how I roll – it’s sorta true.
Yep. I said it. The jewelry market is oversaturated and yet I still choose to press on. Why? I’m so glad you asked!
Because I.flippin.love.it. That’s why. Also…
- It allows me to be creative. I’ve always been building things – my parents were sure that I would be an architect, like my cousin, Bob. But instead of designing sweet structures, I design jewelry + other fun things. Don’t get me wrong, I still dream of structures of buildings + houses, and I still play with legos. Like, frequently. Point is, I get to make what I want – sometimes it works out, sometimes it fails miserably. I get to create something from nothing.
- The people I meet at shops + wineries + shows are (for the most part) really cool characters. Between the other artists and the vast array of mediums they may use, or the business owners that manage to give me bits n pieces of fantastic advice, or the patrons who comment on my work – good, bad or indifferent – they all play a vital role in my growth to becoming the best version of mwah.
- I should seriously be a ballerina because this business-owning gig surely keeps me on my toes. Just when I think I have a technique down pat, I learn a different way or a better way of implementing it. Or, when the wind blows at a show on a sunny day and I don’t have anything taped down – I get my exercise on those days. The most thrilling thing is when I get a large order for a bride or when a new shop contacts me and begs me to put my stuff in their shop. woah. super cool.
- I think because I’m a Gemini, I get bored, like, super easily. Resting in God + meditating is still difficult for me to nail down. I understand it and sometimes I’m even really awesome at it, but mostly I just get so bored quickly. With constantly changing trends and techniques I’m able to always stay busy learning + making + designing + redesigning my jewelry + wine accessories. Things are always getting better.
- I have to admit, being a business owner isn’t always the most pleasurable thing. I’m the one who has to do all the things – designer, marketing, advertising specialist, social media director, accountant, photographer, cleaner upper, etc. I wear many hats. But I love that I get to do all of this on my schedule. I am able to make my kids the priority. This takes a truck-load of discipline. I have to keep myself in check when I’m working because when I don’t I’m going to bed wondering what my kids did that day. yikes. point is: it’s up to me to make them a priority. I’m not having to ask some other adult if I can stay home with my sick child. I just put my stuff aside and let the ‘mommy medicine’ snuggling commence.
- Owning a growing business in such an oversaturated market gives me a real sense of accomplishment. Something I simply didn’t have growing up. I guess I sorta always knew I’d be doin’ my own thing one day. Workin’ for ‘The Man’ just was never my schtick and never made sense to me. But this does. Creating things people wear on their bodies or give as gifts to people they love the most – friggin’ awesome.
- Uhm, I always have accessories to wear. Yeah, that’s a thing that makes me excited. And when I don’t have jewelry to wear with a specific outfit, guess what? I just make it. Bam. (full disclosure: I totally buy clothes to pair with a specific necklace. yes. I’m one of those.)
So, if you’re going back and forth about opening your own jewelry business just go for it and see where it takes you. HINT: The ones who ‘make’ it are the ones that have something unique to offer- something God-given – and who never give up. I almost gave up not too long ago, and I’m so soo glad I pushed through.
Holla!!! to all the jewelry-makers out there! What’s your most favoritest thing about making jewelry? Leave a comment below ☺
Love to all,
Want to keep up with me + my jewelry biz? Subscribe to my monthly eNewsletter for exclusive hot tips + coupons and sales + events and other cool stuff.